It is a special dessert prepared in chettinad area.
Glutinous rice is popularly called kao hnyin in
Myanmar ( ).This kao hnyin has become kavuni in chettinad area of Tamilnadu. Arisi means rice. Glutinous rice is also called sticky rice, sweet rice, waxy rice, botan rice, biroin chal, mochi rice, and pearl rice. It is a type of short-grained Asian rice that is especially sticky when cooked. Burma
· Kavuni Arisi (Glutinous rice): 1 cup
· Sugar: ½ cup
· Ghee-1 table spoon
· Grated coconut: 2 tablespoon
· Cardamom: 5
Method of preparation:
· Soak the rice in water for about 4 hours.
· Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook in medium flame for about 12 to 15 minutes. The idea for prolonged pressure cooking is to obtain soft cooked rice.
· Smash the hot, softly cooked rice with a ladle and drain out the excess water if any.
· Add sugar.
· Prepare cardamom Powder (using mixer- grinder) by adding some amount of sugar.
· Add this powder and ghee with the rice and mix well.
The sweet item ‘kavuni arisi’ is ready for serving.