Sambar, sambhar, Sambaaru, or Kuzhambu
- Arhar dal / Toor dal (Thuvaram paruppu) - ½ cup
- Green chili - 3
- Sambar Onion or Small onion - 10 (or a big onion)
- Vegetables like drumstick, potato, eggplant, carrot, radish, beans- 2 cups.
- Tomato - 1
- Tamarind - a betel nut size
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida / perungayam /Hing - 2 pinches
- Jaggery - ½ tsp
- Red chilies - 4
- Black gram / uluntham paruppu /Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds / malli / dhania - 1½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) - ½ tsp
- Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
- Grated coconut - 4 tsp
- Edible oil: for frying and tampering
- Salt - to taste
- Mixture of mustard seeds and husked black gram (Urad dal) - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a sprig
Method of preparation:
- Take a pressure cooker. Add the dal with 1½ cups of water. Cook for about 3 whistles. Wait for some time. Release the pressure and slightly smash the cooked dal.
- Soak tamarind in a little water for about 15 minutes. Squeeze and obtain its extract.
- Cut onion, tomato and vegetables. Slit the green chilies length-wise.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Add red chilies, dal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, grated coconut and fry till it turns light brown. Make a fine smooth paste of the fried ingredients with little water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add green chilies and onion, fry till onion turns brown.
- Add all the cut vegetables and fry for about 2 minutes. Add tomato, asafetida and turmeric powder. Fry for a minute. Pour enough water so as to fully immerse the vegetables. Cover and cook till the vegetables are cooked.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add tamarind extract, jaggery, salt and the ground paste. Cover with a lid and bring to boil.
- Add the cooked dal and required water. Remove from heat when samabar starts boiling.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and husked black gram. While spluttering, add curry leaves, remove from heat and add this with sambar.
Tastes good with idli, dosai, ooththappam / oothappam / uthappam, vadai, pattanam pakoda, bonda, pongal and cooked rice.