Masala Paniyaram or Masala paniaaram is a tasty snack.
· Raw rice - ½ cup
· Husked black gram / uluntham paruppu / urad dal - ¼ cup
· Onion - 1/4 cup chopped
· Curry leaves – a few
· Green chilies - 7
· Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
· Oil - for deep frying
· Salt - to taste
Method of Preparation:
· Soak rice and black gram together in water for about 2 hours.
· Grind it to a vada batter's consistency.
· In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds, chopped onion, green chilies, curry leaves and sauté till the onion is transparent.
· Now, add this and salt to the batter and mix.
· By using your hand or with the help of a spoon, put the batter in the form of balls into the oil.
· Fry them into golden colour and place on a tissue so that the excess oil is absorbed.
· Serve hot with or without any chutney, or during tea time.