Godhumai Halwa / Godumai Hulva
- Wheat: 1 cup
- Sugar: 2 cups
- Cardamom: 4 (Make this into powder)
- Ghee: 4 tablespoons
- Saffron as a colour: 1 pinch
- A mixture of dry fruits: 1/2 cup
Method of preparation:
- Wash and soak wheat for about ten hours.
- Add a cup of water and grind.
- Strain with the help of a sieve and obtain wheat milk.
- Grind the residue again with a cup of water and strain.
- You will get thin wheat milk now.
- Pour both the thick and thin milk into a thick, round bottomed pan (wok) called iruppuchchatti in Tamil or kadai in Hindi.
- Add sugar and cook on a low flame with constant stirring.
- The halwa (Halva / hulva / hulwa) will form now.
- Add ghee when halwa appears to be thick.
- Mix cardamom powder and saffron.
- Keep cooking.
- Take a small amount and test weather you can make a small ball with your fingers.
- If yes, stop cooking.
- Chop the dry fruits such as cashew nut, almond (badam), pista, akroot, etc, and fry in ghee.
- Mix these dry fruits with hulwa.
- Spread on a greased plate.
- Let it cool.
- Cut into pieces.