It is also known as urulai kizhangu varuval / urulaik kilangu podimaas / potato fry.
- Potatoes (Urulaikizhangu / aloo / aaloo): 2
- Onion (Vengayam / biyaaj): 1
- Ginger (Inji / adarak): A small piece.
- Curry leaves (Kariveppilai / karipatha): 5
- Edible oil: 2 tsp
- Mustard (kadugu / Rai): 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Asafetida (Perungaayam / Hing): a pinch of its powder
- Turmeric powder (Manjal podi / Haldi): 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes. Peel them. Mash them into small pieces.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Finely chop the ginger.
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok / kadai / iruppu chatti
- Add mustard.
- When mustard splutters, add curry leaves, asafetida, turmeric powder and ginger.
- Add onion, salt and sauté for a few minutes.
- When onion turns slightly brown, add the potatoes and allow it to roast on a low flame.
- Turn the contents with care to have even cooking of the contents.
Tastes good with all rice preparations, chapatti, roti, parotta, puri, adai, vadai, bajji, bonda, pakoda, biriyani, Pulav, etc.