It is a very delicious and tasty sambar like liquid preparation, taken and enjoyed with rice, puri, chappathi, bread, paratha, idli, dosai, oothappam, etc.
- Cut 200 gm sambar onion (small onion) and a tomato.
- Dissolve lemon sized tamarind in water.
- Fry one tsp each of black pepper (kali mirch / milagu), cumin seed (jeera- jeeragam), black gram (uluttham paruppu /urad dal), Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu / channa dal), ¼ tsp of fenugreek (methi / vendhayam), a piece of dry ginger (sukku / shoont) and 4 red chilies. Garlic (lasoon / poondu) can be added with this as optional.
- Add a little water and grind well into paste.
- Heat a pan and fry in oil the seasonings consist of mustard (kaduku / rai), black gram, fenugreek and cumin seed.
- Add onion, tomato, tamarind extract, salt, the well grinded paste and curry leaves.
- Add some water if required.
- Remove from flame after boiling.