A good appetizer cum soft, healthy, energetic, cheap, easy to prepare and tasty snack.
- Black gram (Uluttham paruppu / Urad dal) - 2 cups
- Onion - 1
- Green chilies - 3 or 4
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Cumin seed - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak Black gram for about 1 hour.
- Finely chop the onion and green chilies.
- Grind all smooth without adding water.
- Roughly chop the curry leaves and coriander leaves and mix with the batter.
- Add broken black pepper, Cumin seed and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Make your hands wet.
- Take a lemon size of batter.
- Flatten with your palms and make a hole in the middle.
- Deep fry at a time about six, until golden brown color, uniformly both the sides.
- Drain excess oil and serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.