- Prepare about 2 cups of tamarind extract from a lemon sized ball of tamarind.
- Roast 1 tsp each of coriander seeds, Bengal gram, Split gram, and fenugreek seeds until golden color and grind fine to powder (masala).
- Prepare rice milk by mixing 1 tbsp of rice flour and a little water.
- Cut 2 eggplants (brinjal) and fry soft in oil.
- Fry 1 tsp each of mustard seed and Split Black gram in oil until brown. Add a few curry leaves, followed by a red chili, about 5 cloves of garlic, and a chopped onion. Continue frying until the garlic becomes soft. Add 1 tbsp of chili powder and fry.
- Add the tamarind extract and fried eggplant and boil.
- Add powdered masala and salt to taste.
- Add rice milk and ½ to 1 cup of water.
- Continue boiling under low flame for about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, papad (appalam), and mango pickle.
Bengal gram is Kadalai paruppu in Tamil and Channa dal in Hindi.
Split gram or Pigeon peas is Tuvaram paruppu in Tamil and Tuwar dal or Arhar dal in Hindi.
Split Black gram is Uluttham paruppu in Tamil and Urad dal in Hindi.