Kadalai maavu Barfi
Besan ki Barfi
Bengal gram flour (Kadalai maavu / Besan): 1 kg
· Sugar: 1 kg
· Ghee: 1 kg
· Cardamom powder: one pinch
· Dry fruits such as Pista (pistachio), Walnut (Akroot), Almond (Badam or baadaam), Cashew nut, etc.
Method of preparation:
· Fry gram flour in ghee on low flame till the ghee separates (The raw smell disappears at this point).
· Prepare syrup by dissolving sugar with 500 ml of water, boiling this to a consistency thick enough to coat a spoon.
· Mix both with some cardamom powder and stir well.
· Grease an inverted tray or plate and transfer the content evenly.
· Wait for a while for cooling and to become firm.
· Cut into pieces of required shapes.
· Garnish with broken small pieces of dry fruits.
The English name of Pista is Pistachio. Its kernels are generally eaten whole, either fresh or roasted and salted. It is used in many varieties of preparation such as ice cream, confections like baklava or biscotti, cold cuts like mortadella, pistachio pudding, cool whip, canned fruit, cottage cheese, marshmallows, etc.
Almond is called Vaadumai paruppu in Tamil. Cashew nut is Munthiri paruppu, Pistachio is Pistha.