It is a delicious Chettinadu sweet, karkandu vada, tastes good hot or cold.
Ingredients (for Qty 20):
- Raw rice (colam rice / pachcharisi / kachcha chawal): ¼ cup
- Husked black gram (Urad dal / Uluntham paruppu): 1 cup
- Sugar candy (Kalkandu): 1 cup Sugar: 1 ¼ cup
- Oil for deep frying: 3 cups
- (If sugar candy is not available, 1 ¼ cup sugar can be used)
- Wash and soak the raw rice and black gram together in water for an hour.
- Drain the water well.
- Grind this using a grinder by adding sugar gradually, without adding water for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the batter to a vessel.
- Turn upside down a small flat bottomed vessel, wet with a little water and place a plastic sheet on top of it.
- Wet your palms with water.
- Take a small scoop of batter.
- Keep it on the plastic sheet and gently flatten it.
- Make a hole in the centre.
- Carefully remove from the plastic sheet and deep fry in oil under medium flame.
- When both sides turn golden brown, drain the oil well and keep it on a plate.
- Serve hot or cold.
Tip: In the U.S., one cup (8 fluid ounces) is equal to 237 milliliters, In the U.K., one cup is 227 millilitres and in Australia, one cup is 250 milliliters.