A suitable sweet to enjoy eating especially during festivals like Deepavali.
- Raw Rice (colam rice) - ½ kg
- Jaggery - 1/4 kg
- Edible oil for deep frying – As required
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Soak rice in water for about 3 hours.
- Decant the water and partially dry the rice.
- Grind into powder using mixer-grinder, sieve and get fine powder.
- Prepare syrup (pagu) by boiling jaggery with required water.
- Filter the syrup and continue boiling and stirring to wire like consistency (kambi padham).
- Mix cardamom powder and dry ginger powder with the jaggery syrup.
- Let it cool very well and thoroughly mix it with the powdered rice so as to make dough. The dough will become thicker on further cooling preferably over night.
- Pat the dough into discs and deep fry in oil till brown.
- Serve hot or cold.