- Take 3 cups of tamarind extract (prepared out of a lemon sized ball of tamarind and water) in a vessel.
- Add 2 tsp of pepper powder, 2 tsp of cumin seed powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 4 cloves of smashed garlic and salt to it.
- Squeeze a tomato and mix with the liquid.
- Add a cup chopped coriander/cilantro leaves and keep aside.
- Keep a sauce pot on the stove and add 2 tsp of oil.
- Heat it under medium flame.
- Add 1 tsp of mustard, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 red chilly, a pinch of asafetida, and a few curry leaves one by one.
- When the mustard starts popping, add the tamarind extract mixture.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- At the initial stage of boiling, and appearance of foam, switch off the stove and cover the sause pot using a lid.
- Serve hot this tasty rasam having great aroma with cooked rice.
Tamarind - Imli / Imly / Puli
Pepper – Kali mirch / Milagu
Cumin seed - Jeera / Jeeragam
Turmeric – Haldi / Manjal
Garlic – Lasoon / Poondu
Coriander leaves – Dhania pattha / Kotthu malli thazhai
Mustard – Rai / Kadugu
Asafetida – hing / PerungayamCurry leaves – Kary patha / Kariveppilai
Sauce pot - kadhai / Iruppuchchatti